Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Narcolepsy

Today I was diagnosed with narcolepsy.
No, it does not mean that I have to tie my ponytail to something so that I do not face-plant into my soup (ie Deuce Bigelow).
It means that if I sit down and do not have something to engage my brain, I will fall asleep.
It means that I do not remember anything that happens 20 minutes before I fall asleep because my brain (not my body) has already fallen asleep.
It means that sometimes I wake up and I cannot move or speak.
It means that my brain does not produce enough stimulant and my body thinks that it's asleep, even though I'm awake.
So, when I don't have anything to make my brain work, my body shuts down since it thinks it's already asleep.
It means that I now have a life-long excuse for when I fall asleep watching fishing shows with Rob.
It is easily treatable with a stimulant, Ritalin.
I'm not complaining too much seeing as a side effect of Ritalin is appetite suppression.
Darn.
I do feel a bit vindicated.
Rob and I have had many arguments about me falling asleep at inappropriate times.
I always told him that I didn't know that I was falling asleep and that I didn't mean to.
Turns out, I was right.
Ha :)
It could be tied into my sudden weight gain.
It could be tied into my struggle with depression and mood swings.
We'll see.
I am happy to have this answered.
I've been tired my entire life.
Now I know why.

1 comment:

  1. eeenteresting!! i love you my little narcoleptic roomski!

    hope the meds help you out!

    ReplyDelete

Followers