Saturday, December 11, 2010

Bridalplasty

Is a show on E!

There are two things that I want to talk about concerning this show.
I don't know which to start with.

I'll start with a brief explanation of the show:
Newly engaged women compete in various "wedding to-do's."
Before the show began the women made a "wish list" of plastic surgery procedures they want to have done before their wedding day.
They compete for these procedures.
If they win a competition they get to have one of their plastic surgeries from their wish list.

Sick.

It's hosted by this woman:


Apparently, this is what brides should strive to look like.
I know I wouldn't want anyone to be able to tell that I was smiling unless they looked at my mouth and saw the small curve that the botox allowed.

Oh, PS, she's divorced.
Great "Wedding Show Host" pick, E!

I digress.

Topic #1: "I am a well writer and a well speaker."

Embarrassingly, I watched one episode last night and the to-do was writing wedding vows.

The women, sorry, Brides had an hour to write the vows that they would use on their wedding day.
They were scored by how similar their vows were to the vows that their husbands wanted to hear (the show asked their fiances to write down five vows that they wanted to hear from their wife-to-be).

Just like a good reality TV show, they interviewed all of the brides and asked what their thoughts were on the competition.

Some were nervous.
Some were excited.
Some had no idea where to start (that would be me).

One woman said this, (The beginning of this quote is not a direct quote. Unfortunately, I don't remember her exact words...until the very end)

"I'm not nervous about this competition. I love writing and talking. (here comes the exact quote) I am a very well writer and a very well speaker."

I'm sorry?

"A very well writer and a very well speaker" ?

I don't even KNOW where to begin on that!

I'll state the obvious and move on.

Obviously a very well writer and a very well speaker.
While you're writing all of your Thank You notes why don't you send one to your high school English teacher as well?
She deserves one.

Topic #2: What has a wedding become?

OK.
This show is pretty disgusting.
I think we'd all agree to that.
Don't get me wrong, I have my list that I'd love to have done before I marry the man of my dreams, but I'm not actually going to do them.

OK, maybe I would if I had the money.

BUT STILL!

What caps off my disgust with this show is what the host says when a contestant is kicked off:

"I'm sorry, (enter bride name here). You are no longer in the running for your dream wedding. Your wedding will go on, it just won't be perfect."

"It just won't be perfect" ????

I'm sorry, I thought that a wedding was about marrying the person you're in love with.
As long as Rob is standing at the alter when I get there...(pause in an attempt to hold back the vomit caused by my disgust with the show).... my wedding will be perfect.

What is E! teaching girls a wedding is about??!
What IS a wedding about to those who don't have Christ?

I'm just so appalled that I don't even know what to say/type/think.

I don't need a boob job, a chin implant, and liposuction of my arms, thighs, and knees to have a perfect wedding.

Not that I've thought about it or anything.

I don't need all of those things to have a "perfect wedding."
I don't need all of those things to feel beautiful on my wedding day.

Rob makes my wedding day perfect.
Rob makes me feel beautiful EVERY DAY.

What are we teaching youth?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers